Students will be able to:
- gain confidence and self-awareness through learning skills needed in making new friends
- explore exciting books, poems, and songs about new and old friends
- express their ideas through story writing, art, and dramatic play
- learn to work cooperatively as a whole class and in small groups
- feel safe in taking risks with questioning, sharing, and problem solving social conflicts
- nurture an appreciation of the diversity that surrounds us
We will have fun building a community of caring and respectful friends through art, science, cooking, music, dramatic play, singing, block building and storytelling. Each child’s individuality will be respected while we work, eat, and play together. Every day will be filled with opportunities to explore friendships. Through science, by planting a seed and learning what it needs to grow, we will learn that friendships also need special care to grow and flourish. We will be planting a special garden of friends. Through cooking together, preparing a friendship salad, friendship bread and friendship soup, we will learn the special care and teamwork that friendships require. The children will culminate this summer program course with a pajama party celebrating our new friends during the last week of school.