Students will be able to:
- express their ideas through story writing, art, drama and creative movement
- explore the rhythm and cadences of spoken language through poetry,nursery rhymes and songs
- actively express themselves in an environment where they feel safe to take risks in their attempts at writing, sharing and questioning
- begin to form their own early literacy concepts as they explore storybooks, poems, and songs
- learn to work cooperatively in small groups
- practice reading and math skills through simple cooking activities
Children’s literacy development is greatly influenced by activities like listening to storybooks, creating lists, following recipes or writing letters. Additionally, early literacy concepts are formed as children make their own attempts at reading and writing. This class is designed to actively draw your child into literacy by providing these kinds of activities in a supportive learning community. Every day will be filled with opportunities to listen to and act out stories, poems and songs. The children will also write their own stories to be cast and acted out by classmates. We will make snacks inspired by favorite children’s books that we will enjoy together on the “Story Quilt.” Art activities will include making props or simple costumes to extend our stories as well as collage, clay, paint and drawing. The summer program will culminate with a day full of our favorite stories, poems, songs and snacks. The children will negotiate and vote on which ones to include!