Knowing more than one language offers a way to deepen connections to the world around us and is an important part of 21st century learning. As a school we focus on developing children’s knowledge of Spanish because it is a vital part of the culture and development of the city in which we live.
Our dual language program (LTL) is in a strand of classrooms throughout the school. Just as in the rest of the school, students in the LTL program engage in hands-on, minds-on learning experiences that promote critical thinking, conceptual understanding, and language development. LTL teachers, in addition, plan lessons using a variety of instructional strategies to maximize dual language development.
Goals for Students
- Demonstrate high levels of academic achievement
- Develop high levels of language proficiency and literacy in English and Spanish
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of languages and diverse cultures
- Being bilingual (or multilingual) and valuing cultural diversity is an advantage in our global society
- Children can best learn academic concepts and a second language in an integrated, experiential context
- Many language skills are transferable between English and Spanish
- Conceptual understanding is transferable between languages