Inquiry is at the heart of teaching and learning at UCLA Lab School. It’s infused into all parts of our curriculum — from science to social studies to literacy to math. Our inquiry process:
- builds on student interest and curiosity, with teachers encouraging students’ ideas and questions
- promotes 21st Century skills — creativity, collaboration, critical thinking and communication
- offers authentic learning experiences
- engages students in investigating real world questions and problems
- is interdisciplinary
- helps students develop the habits of mind of lifelong learners
Teachers guide inquiry with in-depth planning and assessment. They start by establishing clear learning goals aligned with state and national standards — such as the Common Core Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, C3 Social Studies Framework and ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) Standards.
With goals in mind, they create a rich learning environment that incorporates relevant resources and materials. They continuously evaluate their instruction and children’s work, and they use this information to ensure the learning goals are met.