Math in Our World
For ages 9-12 entering grades 4-6 in the Fall
Teacher: Aisha Marshall
Students will be able to:
- Identify math concepts in real-life scenarios
- Practice math skills and apply computational strategies
- Gain added experience with problem-solving and critical thinking
- Create projects based on mathematical concepts
- Expand their cooperation skills
Math can be found everywhere! Science, business, the arts, nature, and more, all contain elements of math. This class will focus on building strategies for solving mathematical problems students may encounter in their daily lives. Students will also have the opportunity to collaborate in groups and partnerships on projects. Activities will be based on real-life scenarios.
Math in Our World will feature:
- Identifying numbers in our daily lives
- Math in nature: patterns, symmetry
- Reading mathematically: maps, graphs, charts
- Project planning: budgets, purchases, distance
Where will you discover math in your life? The goal is for students to become more aware of the world of math in which they live. By identifying numbers in various scenarios and problems, students will build confidence in applying their number skills.
Come join us for Math in Our World!